Thursday, April 25, 2013

One Man's Junk, My Treasure

If one man's junk is another man's treasure... I'm that other guy.  With all of the building going on in our neighborhood there is plenty of scrap wood laying around for things like the following:


Most people slap some hooks in the wall to hang a shovel from or stand it up in a corner.
I spend hours sanding, staining, and finishing.
It's worth it though, man that is one nice tool rack.  I'm one hook short though and I can't for the life of me find another black one.  Red and gray are in abundance but no black.
Every handyman needs a set of free weights.  Not for exercising with, but for holding stuff down while glue dries.  This was an interesting project.  Our door frame wasn't quite straight, which left a little gap at the top corner letting in cold air.  My carpenter neighbor came over and unscrewed the frame, and we pried the bottom corner out a half inch bringing everything back into line.  Left a little gap between the flooring and the door frame though so I had to install a strip of wood which I was able to do with the help of on 15" adjustable clamp and about 50lbs of free weights. 

This little pile of scrap wood is going to turn into the finest work bench I've ever had the pleasure of working on.

Halfway through completion I was able to use it as a table, woo hoo!  You can see at the right side the table tops for the nightstands I completed yesterday, those will be part of my next blog post.

There she is, a work of art.  Construction cost = <$5  I put it into immediate use, it's light enough that I can drag it outside into the sunlight, small enough that it doesn't get in the way of parking the car.  I'm already well on my way to destroying the top surface but I kinda figured that would happen.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

That's excellent work! Am I seeing it correctly, did you stain the wood on your workbench? It's not a piece of furniture ;-) Granted, it looks very nice indeed...