Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ground Breaking

The first scoop.

I was chatting with my realtor yesterday and she said that she had just gotten off of the phone with Jesse, our builder, and he was starting the foundation today.  Talk about short notice!  Limei and I got up early and were there for the ground breaking.

That pile of dirt appeared out of nowhere!
We chatted with Jesse a little bit, and it's a good thing we did - he's ordering the windows tomorrow morning (we had decided to get some picture windows to take full advantage of the stellar view to the north). We also decided to add a couple of knee braces to "hold" the roof up.

Apparently he's going to do the framing this fall too, so we'll have something that looks like a house pretty soon.  We should be way ahead of schedule, leaving me plenty of time to get my sweat equity in.  We could have the house done sooner, but I think we're going to stick to the original game plan and shoot for next spring.  This way we'll have a nice down payment and money in the bank to cover emergencies.

7 hours later, our foundation is dug.  The green thing in the bottom right corner is either an
electric box or a contractor's table, I'm not sure which :)

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Hey, a BIG day. Nice to see some action! So where's your cellar going to be? I guess you don't need one when you already have snow outside...

What's up next? What's going on top of the black tarps?